Monday, September 3, 2007

Should PostgreSQL be renamed and of so, to what?

For, I guess, about the last week or so, there has been an ongoing debate on the Advocacy email list about renaming the software from PostgreSQL to Postgres or something else.

Some people have very strong opinions about it. Personally, I don't see what the big deal is. The only people who really have an issue are the people in that (hacker) community. CEOs don't care what it's called. No developer I know cares what it's called.

Just to clarify, when I say developer, I mean a person who develops software for business use. Not someone who actually writes code for the database itself (those are the hackers).

So what I mean, is that the guy writing a GL, using PostgreSQL, doesn't care if it's PostgreSQL, Postgres, Postres QL, pg, pgsql or anything else. They just want the software to work.

At the beginning of the discussion on the mail list someone complained about people mis-pronouncing the name, PostgreSQL. Que? How can you mis-pronounce a made up name? It's an imaginary word. If I want to pronounce it "frank" am I wrong? Maybe in your universe but not in mine.

Many people have suggested to just say that Postgres is the preferred spelling (and pronunciation) and PostgreSQL is less preferred but acceptable spelling. I would have to agree with that one. If the pronunciation really bothers someone, let them write a blog about it. C'est la vie.

LewisC